Feeling Sheepish

At Halloween I wanted to make a giant sheep’s costume, complete with jacket and pants and a sheep cap.

But when I found the fabric I wanted, the total fabric required came to over $100. So I scaled back and bought just enough for a vest. There is some virtue to finishing things that you start, and since I had finally finished the three-block-breastplate t-shirt I started earlier, I figured I was nearly there. I had never made a vest before, but the pattern seemed pretty simple: four pieces–two fronts, a back, and a collar.

David looking sheepish

Sidewindrette. Cut. Sew. Make.

Help from Alix to determine most likely measurements, about 4 inches less in girth than sidewinder.

image

image

Special tools for turning the tube inside out. Custom made at TechShop!

image

Make sure to remember which end of the pocket is up. Done!

image

And Cathy is the last woman in tech shop today (running the laser cutter til midnight) and agrees to model.

image

I guess it can be worn with a skirt after all.

Sidewindrette?

image

Couldn’t stare at the laptop anymore. I’m pulling a rib from sidewinder to make… Sidewindrette.

image

Couldn’t find any pink camo stretch denim so keeping it basic with charcoal and black.

Answer without thinking: Who is this for?

Answer without thinking: who do you think this is for? Is it for you? Is it for someone you know? Where would you expect to see this?

Sidewinder is Here

It came out great. Strap it on and strut like a rooster.

Spin view of the Sidewinder

Until I find the right model, you’ll have to settle for my strut.

looking pretty tough... or just looking pretty

Squares over Triangles

I played with the idea of a bag with triangular cross section a few months ago. You may recall, I ended up rejecting this configuration because it required too much material to get to a desirable volume; and so this time around when I wanted to try out a more exotic look for the Brad, I left the top cross section square and made only the bottom cross-section triangular.

But it turns out that fabric isn’t so stiff as to respect the elegance of the design. For one thing, sharp corners like the angles at the bottom tend to collapse into nothing. The nice rising ‘V’ shape of the back-facing panel just didn’t look V-like.  I’ve often gotten to the point in design of these bags where I’ve thought, ‘if I could just stiffen this edge with a plastic rib…’  But then, that’s not allowed in a bag that’s 100% biodegradable, is it?

So this one was just plain mushy. If I had made it a bit smaller, it would have shown some of the qualities I was looking for, but after a wash or two those might not show up so well.

Here’s me, trying to point out that the bottom of the bag is triangular…whoopie.

Plus: I did discover that if I don’t finish the edges I can make a usable prototype in about an hour! :-)

For good fun I made a very basic square-ended carry-all with just enough strap length to get it over your head in a pinch. It looks like this:

I’m not going to produce this one no matter how badly you want it. Although it has a pretty sleek two-piece design, and it would be very cheap to manufacture, I still think it’s boring. But it’s useful as a benchmark against other fancier designs. If a fancier design doesn’t work at least 30% better than this one, then I won’t produce it.

Bitnami